10 Steps to an Easier Move
By Christine Smart, Designing Moves LLC., Linn County LIVING WELL Magazine
1) Don’t procrastinate! Do a little everyday and ask for help along the way.
2) Take time to eat, drink water, and get your rest. We’ve seen the most determined clients get overtired and overworked, which leads to accidents and hospital visits.
3) Everything that moves needs a home at the new place. Avoid taking too many knick knacks, collections and decorations. There are additional costs involved in moving too many items, having them hauled away or paying for storage just to name a few. If you avoid dealing with your extra things someone else will have to later on. Keep in mind others may not make the same choices as you would with your possessions.
4) Tackle one room at a time and avoid sorting the entire house at once. This leads to trip hazards and emergency room visits.
5) Do move a sturdy arm chair. As we age it’s harder to get up from soft chairs and sofas. A nice looking armchair is hard to find; if you have one keep it. You will want it later!
6) Communicate with family and friends. Make sure they have what they want BEORE auction or tag sale arrives to consider you for a client.
7) Have a floor plan done of the new space with all the furniture you want to move. Be sure it is all going to fit. This is a huge part of a successful move.
8) Remember you are in control! You have a say in what happens to your treasures, whether you want to keep them, give them away, sell them, let family have them or not. You may not have the physical stamina to do the sorting, hauling, and packing but you do have a voice in what happens to your belongings.
9) Be careful about what you throw away. Many times people toss the items that might sell well at auction or online and keep the things that used to be worth money but there is no longer a demand for. Do throw away things that are broken, chipped, worn out. If in doubt have it checked out!
10) Contact Designing Moves LLC. We can come alongside you during this overwhelming time and tackle all the little and big hurdles of moving, downsizing and liquidating. Reach us at 319-377-6891 or via www.designingmoves.net.