Reversing Heart Disease Naturally with Whole Food
The Nobel Prize was awarded for the discovery of nitric oxide’s role in cardiac health. In this article, we will discuss how we can naturally prevent heart disease and even reverse it by maintaining production of nitric oxide with food and natural supplements.
Heart disease is the number one killer of Americans. It kills over 650,000 Americans each year. Nearly 800,000 Americans suffer from heart attacks each year and there’s one heart attack every 30 seconds in America. Even 65% of children between the ages of 12 to 14 have early signs of atherosclerosis in their blood vessels. Studies have also shown that fatty streaks are visible in fetal arteries, and the situation is even worse in pregnant mothers with high cholesterol.
So many Americans are suffering from heart disease, which can be prevented and reversed with nutrition and lifestyle changes. The key to preventing and reversing heart disease is to avoid foods that insult our vessels and consume foods that have the ability to heal them. One of the most important ways to protect our cardiovascular system is to increase nitric oxide in our bodies.
Nitric oxide is produced from the endothelium, the single layer of cells that are the inner lining of the arteries. Nitric oxide is the key to reducing all types of vascular disease such as heart disease, strokes, and other chronic disease. It also plays a critical role in anti-aging.
What is Nitric Oxide?
Nitric oxide is a powerful messenger molecule in our bodies that signals arteries to relax and expand, allowing more blood to flow. It also triggers immune cells to kill bacteria and cancer cells, reducing the risk of chronic disease. Nitric oxide can also help brain cells to communicate, reducing the risk of dementia.
The role of nitric oxide:
- Prevent high blood pressure
- Keep arteries flexible and prevent formation of plaque
- Lower cholesterol and reduce formation of blood clots
- Reduce risk of diabetes
- Reduce pain from arthritis
- Protect bones from osteoporosis
- Protect skin from sun damage
- Increase blood flow to the brain and increase cognitive function
- Reduce risk of dementia
- Reverse erectile dysfunction
- Stimulate production of stem cells
Aging and Nitric Oxide production:
As we age, we lose the ability to produce nitric oxide from our endothelium. By age 40, we lose 50% of the ability to produce nitric oxide. By age 60, we lose 85% of the ability to produce nitric oxide from our endothelium. This is part of the aging process; we damage our arteries as we age. Does this mean we are doomed and bound to develop heart disease and other vascular disease?
Fortunately, there are other methods of producing nitric oxide. Our bodies can produce nitric oxide from nitrates and nitrites found naturally in our foods. Dark green leafy vegetables such as kale, spinach, arugula, Swiss chard, beet green and beet are good sources of nitrate and nitrite. Other good sources are broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, bok choy, and carrots.
When we chew these foods, friendly bacteria on our tongues reacts with saliva to convert the nitrate to nitrite. In our stomachs, nitrites are converted to nitric oxide, where it goes into the blood stream. Once in the blood stream, nitric oxide functions as a messenger to relax the arteries and cause vasodilation and allows increase in blood flow and circulation.
Because friendly bacteria on the tongue help produce nitric oxide, it is important to maintain healthy oral health. Avoid using mouthwash, as it kills the healthy bacteria that are necessary to produce nitric oxide. Instead, try using baking soda as a toothpaste and oral rinse.
Here is how you can reverse heart disease with nutrition:
- Eat a fist-size serving of dark green leafy vegetables with a few drops of balsamic vinegar, or any other vinegar, six times spread throughout the day. Dark green leafy vegetables such as kale, spinach, Swiss chard, arugula, beet greens, and beets have high concentrations of nitrates that promote the formation of nitric oxide (NO), the most powerful vasodilator.
- No OIL. Oils causes vasoconstriction and raise blood pressure. Oils also cause damage to endothelium, the inner lining of arteries, where nitric oxide is produced.
- Chew your food. Bacteria on your tongue need to interact with food. Avoid juicing, as it quickly adds calories and doesn’t contain any fiber.
- Eat starches, non-starchy vegetables and fruits. Starches are important for satiation so that you do not get hungry. Starches are root vegetables, beans, peas, lentils, squash and 100% whole grains.
- Avoid all foods high in fat including butters, coconut, olives, nut and nut butter.
- Avoid caffeinated coffee, as it’s a vasoconstrictor.
- Avoid processed sugars.
- Avoid all animal foods, meat, dairy, and eggs.
- Avoid salt in cooking and at the table
Cancer and the Immune System:
Nitric oxide is a messenger that signals our immune system to protect the body against bacteria and cancer cell growth. Nitric oxide has been shown to protect the skin from sun damage that can lead to cancer and slow down the growth of other cancerous tumors. Nitric oxide is also released by the immune system to fight against bacteria.
Patients with diabetes are at high risk of developing vascular disease such as hypertension, atherosclerosis, kidney disease, and blindness. Both type 1 and type 2 diabetics suffer from endothelium dysfunction, as the inner lining of the artery is damaged. Therefore, diabetics produce less nitric oxide, which further damages the blood vessel and leads to heart disease and other vascular disease. Nitric oxide can improve vascular function and reduce the progression and complications of both heart disease and diabetes.
Dark green leafy vegetables are one of the best sources of nitrates, but there are also supplements that promote production of nitric oxide; however, not all of these supplements are equal. Look for supplements that are all natural and organic, no additives or fillers or any other stimulants, which are vasoconstrictors.
For more information about how to prevent and reverse chronic disease naturally and activate your stem cells to repair and regenerate, check out www.NeoGenStemCell.com. We also offer free seminars on nutrition the second Saturday of every month at TreeHouse Dallas.