What to do in case of Personal Injury
By Robert C. Meeker, Personal Injury Attorney, Akron LIVING WELL Magazine
Personal injury is a legal term for an injury to the body, mind or emotions, as opposed to an injury to property. Personal injury accidents include dog bites, slip and fall, product liability, and the most common type of personal injury claim, auto accidents. Every day in the U.S. there are around 17,500 auto accidents. Of those 17,500 accidents, only 20% of the people involved take the proper initial steps if injured as a result of the negligence of a third party. It is extremely important that you and/or your family follow these six easy steps to ensure that your rights are protected.
- In the case of an auto accident call the police and have an accident report completed, as it will help to speed up the claims processes with your insurance company.
- Take pictures of the damage to all vehicles involved. If there are witnesses, get their contact information; they may be able to help you if the other drivers dispute your version of what happened.
- Only talk about the accident with the police and your insurance agent. Limit your discussion of the accident and do not admit to any fault or liability.
- Take the proper steps for your initial medical care, which may include visiting an emergency room and/or seeing a medical doctor as soon as possible.
- Contact a law firm and speak to a personal injury attorney. The attorney will contact the appropriate insurance companies, and fight for the victim and their family to receive compensation for damages, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering.
- Stay in close contact with your attorney throughout the legal process, good communication is vitally important.
Acts of negligence have the potential to inflict pain and suffering on entire families and after experiencing a traumatic event such as an auto accident, proper guidance from a legal professional can be very helpful.
Robert C. Meeker is the president and senior partner at Blakemore, Meeker, & Bowler Co., L.P.A. Meeker has been practicing law and specializing in personal injury for over 35 years in Akron and the surrounding areas. To contact Meeker please call 330-253-3337.